No Makarsankranti celebration is complete without "Tilgul" - made of Sesame seeds & jaggery. Not only are sesame seeds an excellent source of copper and a very good source of manganese, but they are also a good source of calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphorus, vitamin B1, B6 Thiamin Folate and Niacin, zinc, molybdenum, selenium, and dietary fiber, proteins and carbohydrates. In addition to these important nutrients, sesame seeds contain two unique substances: sesamin and sesamolin.
There are many scientific reasons for consuming them. Some Health benefits of sesame seeds are :-
- They Boost metabolic function: Sesame seeds are rich in protein, a nutrient essential for various biological processes to keep your body running smoothly, such as cellular growth, mobility, energy and strength.
- They Manage diabetes: Research has found that sesame seeds contain magnesium, a mineral helpful for the management of #diabetes symptoms by helping regulate insulin and glucose levels.
- They Promote healthy digestion: Sesame seeds are rich in fiber, an important dietary component that helps bulk up stools and promote regular elimination. As a result, fiber may help lower your risk of common stomach problems such as #constipation and #diarrhea.
- They possess Anti-Cancer properties: Sesame seeds contain phytate, an antioxidant that may help reduce free radicals throughout your body, which are connected to various forms of #cancer.
- Protect against radiation: Sesamol, a unique compound found in sesame seeds, may help protect your DNA against the harmful effects of #RadiationExposure. This may be beneficial for those who are currently receiving radiation treatments for #cancer to prevent further cellular mutation.