Oranges are a winter favorite and one of the most loved fruits around the world. The fruit is low in calories, good for the skin, strengthens nervous system and digestive system, and helps in lowering the risk of many diseases. It can be also included in our diet in several ways from a morning snack to exotic desserts. Here are a few benefits of oranges:
1. They are a good source of vitamin C - Humans are unable to produce vitamin C endogenously, which is essential for our body and so it needs to be included in our diet. Vitamin C reduces inflammation related to arthritis, muscle injuries and also helps in reducing the risk of heart diseases by blocking the oxidation of cholesterol. Oranges are very rich in vitamin C along with other nutrients like vitamin B9, vitamin A, calcium, and potassium.
2. They are an excellent source of fiber - Fiber-rich fruits like oranges have been proven to moderate the levels of blood sugar after a meal because of their natural sugar-fructose content. For this reason, diabetic patients can also have oranges without worry. Moreover, the roughage present in the fruit reduces the chances of constipation and diarrhea.
3. Help prevent cancer - The fiber content in oranges can also play a significant role in keeping cancer-causing chemical components away from the colon. Moreover, vitamin C helps build the immune system so as to resist cancer cells. The antioxidants may also help in avoiding breast cancer, skin cancer, stomach cancer and lung cancer.
4. Improve the quality of sperm - A vitamin called folic acid, which is present abundantly in oranges, helps to improve the quality of human sperm and locomotive abilities. Folic acid also protects the sperm from most kinds of genetic damage.
5. Can prevent loss of hair - Production of collagen, which is one of the most important proteins in our body, is done with the help of vitamins, especially vitamin C. Collagen keeps the tissues in the hair together. So, oranges and other foods rich in vitamin C can help keep a healthy growth of hair even in your old age.
6. Check the formation of kidney stones - Juice of citrus fruits like orange can increase the pH value of urine and can lead to increased excretion of citric compounds from the body. This reduces the possibility of the formation of calcium oxalate stones in the kidney considerably.
7. Promote brain development - Vitamin B9 and folic acid keep the brain healthy. The polyphenols in orange help in accelerating the learning and memory functions of the brain and facilitate neurological development in the fetus.
Hence, the above mentioned benefits of oranges make them one of the most amazing foods which everyone must include in his/her daily diet.