Many aspects of our lifestyle—from what we eat to how we handle our hair can affect our hair. While losing a few hair strands is considered normal, it’s when you start shedding clumps of hair that raises a lot of red flags. If you are wondering what you are doing wrong, these are some common mistakes that are leading to hair thinning and breakage.
Taking hot showers
As much as you love hot showers, you should know that it dehydrates strands (just like skin), and strips the scalp of its natural oils, leading to dry, brittle hair that’s more prone to breakage. Instead opt for lukewarm water and try to rinse hair with the coolest temperature.
Combing wet hair
Our strands are never more fragile and prone to breakage when wet. Hence it’s important to use a wide toothed comb or let them air-dry first before any form of styling.
Wearing tight hairstyles
Pulling your hair too tight from the roots causes damage and hence, should be avoided. It is also best to not use very tight hair ties while sleeping at night.
Layering too many products
There is no dearth of hair products available in the market, which promises gorgeous hair. However, using too many of these chemical laden products could prove harmful in the long run. It’s best to give them a break and try natural home-made recipes instead.
Not washing hair often
Skipping regular washes could lead to excessive product buildup on the scalp that can clog hair follicles. It’s essential to wash your hair every two days especially if you are sweating or using a lot of products.
Starving yourself or crash dieting can cause malnutrition which could have an adverse effect on your hair. Include plenty of lean protein in your diet to curb hair loss
There are several reasons for hair loss, balding or hairfall. But there are cases where iodine also plays an important role in the thinning of hair.
Dr. Ravindra Gupta of Internal Medicine from Columbia Asia Hospital, Gurgaon explains how iodine deficiency can cause hair loss.
There are several causes of iodine deficiency:
Post-pregnancy and menopause
Personal care of hair like use of shampoo, oil, lack of massage, brushing wet hair, etc.
However, lack of iodine also results in hair loss. Dr. Ravindra Gupta explains how iodine deficiency is linked to hair loss, “As we all are familiar that iodine deficiency leads to hypothyroidism and goitre.
But hypothyroidism leads to thinning of hairs by unknown mechanism. So, iodine deficiency causes hair loss due to deficiency of thyroid hormones.”
Balding or hair loss is a symptom of thyroid imbalance accompanied by other hypothyroid symptoms like fatigue, depression, weight gain, dry skin, muscle cramps, aches, swelling of the legs, and excessive sleepiness.
Instead of increasing salt intake, consult your doctor before changing your diet.
Rich sources of iodine in food:
1. Baked potato with skin
4. Boiled eggs
5. Baked turkey breast
6. Cod fish
It is recommended that adult males and female should consume approximately 150 mcg of iodine per day.
An egg contains 77 calories, 6 gms of protein and 5 gms of healthy fats. Moreover, eggs also contain other nutrients which are helpful for the health. The eggs are consumed in various ways. If you consumed two eggs daily then a lot of changes will take place in your body.
- It lowers the risk of cardiovascular disease: Eggs are very beneficial to reduce the symptoms of heart disease. Eggs are a rich source of good cholesterol as it contains 40 gms of good cholesterol. However, the good cholesterol helps to reduce the variety of heart problem.
- They improve bone structure: Eggs are the rich source of vitamin D. Vitamin D is important when it comes to calcium absorption and bone preservation.
- They increase the iron levels: Egg yolk contains iron which helps to absorb nutrients faster. Iron is very important mineral. It plays an important role by carrying oxygen to the blood. The deficiency of iron cause headaches, tiredness and irritability.
- They promote good growth of the hair and nails: Eggs are beneficial to improve the structure of nails and hairs. The eggs are loaded with minerals and nutrients which is required for the growth of nails and hair. It also contains zinc, vitamin A, vitamin B12, and sulfur, which is necessary for the growth of hair and nails.
- They improve brain functions: Eggs are beneficial to improve the health of the brain. It also helps to improve the memory of brain.
आजच्या धावपळीच्या जीवनात केसांचं पोषण होणं खूप गरजेचं आहे. अनेकदा पोषण न झाल्यामुळेच केस मोठ्या प्रमाणात गळतात. त्यामुळे केसांची काळजी घेणं गरजेचं आहे. केस धुण्याच्या आधीही त्याची काळजी घेणं गरजेचं आहे. केस धुण्याआधी खालील टीप्स तुम्हाला फायदेशीर ठरु शकतात.
१. एरंडेल, ऑलिव्ह किंवा बदाम यापैकी दोन प्रकारचे तेल एकत्र करून लावावे. यामुळे केसांना योग्य पोषण मिळेल आणि केस गळणे थांबेल.
२. केस धुण्यासाठी खूप गरम पाणी वापरू नये. गरम पाण्यामुळे तुमचे केस कडक आणि कोरडे होतात.
३. अंघोळीआधी केसांना दही आणि अंडं यांचे मिश्रण लावावे. हे मिश्रण कंडिशनर म्हणून काम करते. हे सर्वोत्कृष्ट नैसर्गिक कंडिशनर मानले जाते. मध आणि दही यांचे मिश्रणही कंडिशनर म्हणून वापरता येईल.
४. काळी डाळ रात्री भिजत ठेवावी. त्यानंतर सकाळी ती व्यवस्थित वाटून त्यात अंडं, लिंबाचा रस आणि दही टाकून ती केसांना लावल्याने फायदा होतो.
५. केस धुण्यापूर्वी केसांना तेला लावून २० मिनिटं मालिश करावी.