It is almost winter now. Winter is called the season of cold, flu and infections. Changes of every season require change in diet and lifestyle. Ayurveda prescribes a distinctive lifestyle and recommendations to beat the cold. Using only natural ingredients, it offers an excellent treatment option for cold.
In Ayurveda, common cold is called pratishyaya. In this condition, all the three doshas of your body are responsible. Cold occurring due to vata dosha is indicated by symptoms such as mucus discharge, a runny nose, and dry cough. In case of cold because of pitta dosha, a sore throat, blocked nose, and fever are indicated. People who get cold on account of kapha dosha experience headaches, heaviness in the head, and thick mucus discharge.
There are several Ayurvedic remedies for cold. They include the following:
Several natural herbs are used for treating cold according to Ayurvedic principles.
Cassia roots are effective for treating cold. The roots should be burned and the emitted smoke must be inhaled. As a result of this treatment, your mucous discharge increases rapidly, and totally stops after some time.
Bishop’s weed is ideal for opening your clogged nasal passages. You need to tie the seeds of this plant in a cloth and directly inhale it. It helps in clearing congestion and deal with nasal blockages.
Cinnamon is effective in curing cold. Boil cinnamon with pepper and honey in water. Consuming this mixture helps in reducing a sore throat and prevents your cold from worsening.
Having antiseptic properties, cumin seeds are also used for treating cold and its symptoms. It helps with curing fever and throat irritations.
You should fast a whole day after experiencing the various symptoms of cold. This fasting will help you with detoxifying your body and eliminating the toxins. You should choose a diet, which consists of steamed and boiled vegetables, vegetable soups and stews. Stay away from food items, which are difficult to digest, like oily, rich, and spicy foods, milk, and other dairy products. Consume hot food for giving relief to your cold symptoms.
- The cold climate rips the natural moisture and oiliness from the hair and skin. So it is recommended to have a regular oil massage at least twice a week. Just heat some sesame oil and apply it all over body before taking bath. Also, winter may cause body aches. Oil massage relaxes the body and reduces pain.
- Don’t take bath in hot water, rather take a bath in warm water.
- Do exercises regularly (don’t strain yourself) during cold climate. In fact, winter is the best season to get back in shape. Even if you do some simple exercise for a few minutes, you can sweat out a lot and it keeps your body warm.
- You may opt for Bring Asava. This is a prescribed Ayurvedic medicine for cold, which should be taken regularly for a week.
- A nasal drop named Anu Taila is effective in treating cold. This drop should be taken after mixing it with honey. It helps in reducing inflammation in your respiratory tract.
It is important for you to consult an Ayurvedic practitioner before starting Ayurvedic treatment for cold on your own. A licensed doctor will be able to prescribe you the best solutions based on your condition and symptoms.