Brushing properly, flossing and using mouthwash are basic to maintaining good oral hygiene. However, if you fail to do so, food, mineral salts and bacteria start setting on your teeth. This is known as plaque which overtime turns into tartar.
You can get rid of tartar at home with the help of these remedies.
- Apply vitamin C rich foods: Foods like strawberries and tomatoes help in preventing tartar buildup. Prepare a pulp of tomatoes and strawberries and apply on your teeth and leave it on for 5mins. Wash it off. Repeat this twice a week till you spot the difference.
- Baking soda: It can help in removing plaque from your teeth. All you need is a teaspoon of baking soda, toothpaste, salt (optional) and a toothbrush. Mix baking soda with salt, or simply use baking soda for this job. Keep it on the bristles of your toothbrush and brush your teeth with it. Now rinse your mouth with lukewarm water. You can also mix baking soda with toothpaste and brush your teeth with it. Just check the quantity of baking soda used. Excess can harm tooth enamel. Use any of these twice a week to see results.
- White vinegar: It has antibacterial properties which can help in the removal of plaque and tartar and prevent its accumulation. Prepare a white vinegar solution and used it as a mouthwash regularly. Take half a cup of water and add 2tsp of white vinegar and half a teaspoon of salt to it. Stir it well and use it twice a day to rinse your mouth.
- Eating spicy foods: This improves saliva production in your mouth which helps in cleaning teeth and gums. So chew some peppers to get rid of tartar and plaque buildup on your teeth.
- Orange peel: You can use the peels directly for your teeth and clean them with it. Just take a piece of orange peels and rub it on your teeth for 2mins. Leave the juice on and wash it. You can also make a paste of this and scrub on your teeth. Rinse your mouth with warm water. Repeat this twice or thrice a week.