For muscle-gains or losing body fat for building lean muscle mass, you have innumerable options when it comes to choosing foods and supplements.
- Eggs: Egg whites are an essential part of diet for every successful bodybuilder. One of the best sources of protein, eggs have fat ratio of 60:1 that contributes considerably to muscle-building. It is touted as the super-food for bodybuilders because it is readily utilised by body for protein synthesis.
- Beans/Legumes: Veggies such as beans & legumes are not just delicious but nutritious. It gives you protein and fibre to help maintain regular & normal healthy bowel movement besides insulin response (important to muscle growth as both functions aid in absorption).
- Lean chicken/Turkey breasts: An excellent source of protein & low in saturated trans fats, lean cut chicken and turkey breasts are one of the best foods for #bodybuilding. These can be incorporated easily in multiple meals throughout the day.
- Carbohydrates: They are body's main source of energy, & critical to mass building. It keeps your body on course of muscle building by maintaining insulin response. Starchy carbohydrate sources (such as oatmeal, grits, potatoes and brown rice), fibrous carbohydrate (such as green beans, broccoli, lettuce and spinach) & simple carbohydrates (such as apples, bananas, grapes, oranges and pineapple) should be incorporated in bodybuilding diet.
- Fish: An excellent source of essential fatty acids such as omega-3, which has a major contribution in muscle-building process.
- Lean red meat/Lean ground beef: Rich in protein, iron, zinc and vitamin B, lean red meat and ground beef make an excellent mass-building food option. These are high level of saturated fats; make sure you do not consume these on an everyday basis.
- Bananas: They are a fast and easy way to get a good dose of carbohydrate, potassium & sugar to help refuel glycogen stores and to ultimately increase muscle hypertrophy.