As much as you would like, an ice cream can't help you cool down in the scorching heat of this summer. Although one may argue that one feels just fine after ice cream, the truth is that it's only temporary. Cooling foods are what you should have as they help to cool heat and cleanse toxins from the body.
Here are some of the foods that help cool down your body naturally:
1. Cucumber - Not surprisingly, being 'cool as a cucumber' actually holds true. Cucumbers are fruits that help keep the body hydrated. Keeping your body cool during hot days is vital to your health as it can help prevent a number of complications such as heat strokes and dehydration. Munching on cucumber slices and hummus is a good way to beat the heat and stay cool.
2. Watermelon - This quintessential beach fruit is yet another one which would help you beat the heat. This seasonal fruit acts like an internal air-conditioner, and is rich in water, helping in reducing body heat to a large extent while keeping you hydrated.
3. Peaches - Peaches are not only delicious but are very rich in vitamins A and C, which help in keeping your body cool. Besides, these vitamins also help in maintaining healthy skin and provide useful calories to the body.
4. Apples - Apples are fruits that help to fill you up and cool down your body at the same time. They contain about 4g of fiber and around 95 calories and are enriched with a soluble fiber called pectin, which stops hunger and helps in shedding weight.
5. Pineapple - Along with banana, cucumber, and some other fruits, pineapple helps to make a healthy smoothie. These ingredients have cooling properties, which hydrate the body and help to clear the heat. Also, pineapple contains an enzyme called bromelain, which reduces inflammation in the body.
Some more tips to help you cool down are as follows:
1. Avoid caffeinated or carbonated beverages, alcoholic beverages, and those high in sugar - All these drinks contain preservatives, colours and sugars. They are acidic in nature and act as diuretics. They cause loss of fluids through urine.
2. Do not drink very chilled liquids - They do not really help cool you down in summers, though they make you cool for some time. Drinking really cold liquids when feeling hot may lead to a slight constriction of the blood vessels in the skin and decrease heat loss, which is not advisable when trying to cool down.
3. Limit all strenuous activity.
4. Eat light, nutritious and non-fatty meals.
5. Reduce intake of heaty vegetables and fruits, like spinach, radish, hot peppers, onions, garlic, beetroot, grapefruit and ripe mangoes (if you cannot resist mangoes, soak them overnight in water).
It is a universally known fact that milk is good for your health, unless you are lactose intolerant. But have you ever taken a close look at what milk really accomplishes for your body? Knowing about the medical advantages of consuming milk can also inspire you to include this nutritious item in your diet on a regular basis.
1. Astonishing Complexion
A glowing complexion is everyone's dream and milk keeps your skin to stay supple, delicate and sparkling. This is because of the numerous vitamins and nutritional supplements it contains. Drinking about two glasses of milk every day can offer you this benefit in a wonderful way.
2. Solid Teeth
Milk is a powerhouse of calcium, and that is precisely what your teeth need. Milk also helps in avoiding depression and tooth rot. Along with calcium, vitamin D is also extremely important for your body, so ensure that the milk you drink is laced with vitamin D.
3. Solid Bones
You already know that children need to drink milk regularly to build healthy bones and it is also good for their overall development. But grown-ups also need it to keep their bones solid, which will lessen the danger of osteoporosis. Once more, this advantage originates from the calcium found in milk, and also vitamin D which retains the calcium in the body.
4. Muscle Growth
Milk can enhance muscle development in a very effective way. This is because of the protein found in milk. Numerous athletes and health freaks drink milk after workout, as it gives their body the vital supplements needed for recuperation. Milk also forestalls muscle soreness and recharges the liquids that are lost through physical exertion.
5. Weight reduction
Studies have demonstrated that ladies who drink milk daily will probably get in shape faster than ladies who don't drink milk. In case, you're looking for a solid nibble or satisfying snack, drink a glass of milk. It is additionally prescribed that you take it with supper or while eating an organic product.
Researchers have also found that milk keeps various maladies at bay. It has the ability to lower hypertension and decrease the danger of strokes. Likewise, milk can diminish the creation of cholesterol by your liver and enhances visual perception. There are a few scientists who also believe that milk can reduce the danger of building up of certain types of malignancy.
It is summer, and that nice, tall drink of iced water is so tempting. But wait! Yes, cold water is refreshing, but have you ever wondered what it does to your body? You may already know that when you wash your face with hot/warm water, it opens up your pores and loosens your skin. On the other hand, washing your face with cold water closes the pores and tightens the skin. Now imagine this tightness in your digestive tract. Feels unpleasant, doesn’t it?
Here are more reasons as to why you should avoid drinking cold water:
1. When you drink cold water, or any other chilled beverage, it hinders your hydration, restricts your digestion and shrinks your blood vessels.
2. Drinking cold water changes your body’s internal temperature. Your body now uses the energy stored to regulate your temperature instead of digesting food and absorbing nutrients to produce energy.
3. Excessive mucus is created when you drink cold water after a meal. This leads to a decline in the function of your immune system, which makes you prone to catch illness and colds.
4. If you drink cold water with a meal or after it, fats in your food become solidified due to the low water temperature. The body now struggles to digest the nonessential fats from your body.
Some people claim that drinking cold water can burn calories better by making your digestive system work harder. However, this is not the correct way to burn calories! You don’t need to make your digestive system work harder. There are many other ways to burn calories. So, ditch that glass of cold water. Health experts vehemently agree that warm, or room temperature, water is best for the body.
Some benefits of warm water include:
1. Increased and faster hydration
2. Digestion is improved due to stimulation of natural digestive enzymes
3. Food is broken down with more ease
4. Better bowel movement, especially if you put lemon juice in warm water
5. Blood is purified and your body is naturally detoxified via your lymphatic system, kidney and skin
So the next time you sit down for a meal, grab that glass of room temperature water instead.
There has been enough discourse about the benefits of green tea over the past few years. It is indeed one of the healthiest beverages available in the market. Green tea has been labelled as one of the best health drinks available today. A lot of people vouch for the qualities of green tea and even start their day with a cup. While there has been a lot of talk of the health effects of green tea, let us look at some of the specific reasons as to why having green tea every day is important for your health.
1. Weight loss: This is the predicament that a lot of people face today. Sedentary lifestyles have led to a lot of weight woes and green tea is the perfect ingredient for that. Having green tea regularizes the metabolism which is effective in maintaining the weight. In doing so it also aids in fighting diseases like diabetes, heart diseases and many more. Basically, it paves the way for a healthy and fitter life.
2. Stress booster: Green tea is supposed to contain thiamine that brings about a soothing effect. The decaffeinated green tea needs to be consumed regularly and in perfect quantities to fight the stress factor. Hence, green tea can bring about a calming effect on your life.
3. Oral health: Green tea is supposed to be a great booster for oral health. As an anti-bacterial, green tea reduces bacteria and keeps cavities at bay. They reduce gum diseases, reduce enamel loss and keep the stinking breath at bay.
4. Maintains eyesight: Green tea along with all its anti-oxidants penetrates the tissues of your eyes and helps maintain a healthy eye sight. Drinking green tea can be very protective to the eyesight and helps maintain it.
5. UV Protection: Green tea is rich in catechins and that makes the skin resistant to UV rays. This, in turn, protects the skin from premature aging. So next time you are to move out in the sun, make sure to have a cup of green tea along with those sunscreens.
6. Build immunity: Green tea seems to have some magical qualities. It has been shown by research that green tea builds immunity and keeps one away from bacterial and fungal attacks. Bigger diseases like flu, dysentery, and diarrhoea are also kept at bay by regular consumption of green tea.
7. Energizing: Unlike tea and coffee that are high in caffeine, green tea is not addictive and at the same time energizes the entire body and prepares you for a long day at work.
Six hours of sleep daily is as important as the food you consume and the amount of exercise you do, in a day. Poor sleep can lead to reduced concentration on the next day coupled with low productivity. Duration of sleep varies with age, mental status, physical illness, family problem, etc.
Here are a few benefits of getting the required amount of sleep every night:
1. Sleeping improves memory: Lack of sleep has a negative effect on your brain, which affects your memory and retention. If you sleep more, you are more likely to retain things because, in your sleep, your mind goes over everything you’ve read when you were awake. This process is called consolidation. Thus, an optimum amount of sleep helps you retain whatever you have learnt during the day.
2. Stimulates creativity: Getting sleep for the required number of hours is a necessity as your creativity levels are bound to soar after some good rest. Working relentlessly without a break in between can lead to saturation in your creativity levels. Thus, rest is a requisite for a spur of creativity.
3. Reduces stress levels: Not sleeping enough adds even more strain on your brain. Sleep deprivation increases stress, which adds to the blood pressure level and cholesterol in the blood, putting you at risks of suffering from coronary diseases. Thus, to keep your heart health intact, it is important to sleep for at least six hours, which is a minimum requirement for your body.
4. Prevents weight gain: Sleep deprivation can lead to an alteration in your hormone levels, which activates the cortisol (a fat producing hormone), thereby, leading to obesity. It also leads to negative modifications in your diet and a lethargic approach to your regular exercise routine. Thus, the easiest hack to lose weight is to get adequate sleep at night.
Because the benefits you gain out of sleeping for a minimum of six hours are invaluable, you should aspire to give your body the rest it deserves.