Depression and Anxiety are often observed to co-exist. Too much mental stress is a trigger that can result in mental disturbances leading to Depression or Anxiety.
Stress is actually a normal physical response to events that make you feel threatened. When you sense danger, whether it’s real or imagined, the body’s defense kicks into high gear in a rapid, automatic process known as the “fight-or-flight” reaction, or the stress response.
However, excessive stress when left unmanaged can result in several illnesses including mental disorders such as Depression and Anxiety. Ayurvedic massage therapies are a 100% safe and proven treatment for such mental disorders.
Here are the 6 Ayurvedic ways to beat Depression and Anxiety that are offered at NuAyurveda clinic:
1. Abhyangam: It involves the full body massage with medicated herbal oils. Abhyangam therapy increases blood circulation to remove metabolic wastes and toxins from the body. It stimulates vital pressure points, which leads to nervous stimulation and reduction in Stress, Anxiety, and Depression.
In this therapy, two therapists apply herbal oils over the whole body (Head to Toe) of the individual in rhythmic and synchronised manner by using the right pressure. The massage goes on for 45-50 minutes in seven different positions. Abhyangam balances the Doshas and treats Mental, Emotional, and Physical disorders.
This therapy boosts Immunity and leads to well-being by preventing Stress and Depression. It is also effective against Insomnia, Paralysis, Arthritis, and Spondylosis disorders.
2. Padabhyangam: This Ayurvedic massage includes the stimulation of nerve endings and vital pressure points present in the foot to balance the Doshas. This also promotes mental calmness and relieves Stress and Anxiety.
A therapist applies herbal oils on the foot using precise hand movements. This leads to the improvement in blood circulation in the lower leg, which revitalises the tired feet.
Padabhyangam eliminates psychological disorders such as Nervousness, Anxiety, and Insomnia and prevents Depression. It also prevents Muscle cramps, boosts Fertility, and reduces Swelling and Pain in the lower leg region.
3. Nasyam: Nasyam is a part of Panchakarma therapy and involves the administration of medicated oils or drugs through nostrils. This treatment stimulates the vital centres of the brain to overcome problems such as Stress, Anxiety, Depression, and Insomnia.
Nasyam starts with a facial massage or steam application to the face, forehead, ears, and neck. Afterwards, a therapist instills herbal oils, juices, or powders through nasal route, which then spread through venous (blood circulation) and nervous system into the areas present around the nostrils. Finally, the patient is given lukewarm water to gargle and medicated smoke for inhalation.
Nasyam therapy treats the disorders of ear, nose, and throat. It unblocks the energy channels and gets rid of Depression, Anxiety, and Headache. Moreover, it boosts Immunity and improves eye health.
4. Pizhichil: Pizhichil treatment involves the squeezing of warm medicated oils to help the system retune itself thereby inducing both physical and mental relaxation. The stress and tension building up in the system due to various factors often lead to oxidative stress, which can be effectively combated by this Ayurvedic treatment.
Pizhichil starts with a gentle and synchronised massage on all parts of the body excluding the head. A cloth dipped in lukewarm herbal oil is squeezed on the body of the patient followed by oil rubbing over the body. The dipping of cloth in medicated herbal oil is repeated periodically, and the entire procedure takes about 1 hour.
Pizhichil rejuvenates the body and boosts the functioning of the nervous system. It reduces Vata dosha, Tension, Anxiety, Depression, Muscular aches, Rheumatic problems, Insomnia, and Sexual problems. It also tones the skin by promoting the blood circulation.
5. Kizhi: Kizhi enhances circulation and reduces the oxidative stress thereby relieving the psycho-physical symptoms of stress.
This therapy makes use of powders, herbs, rice, sand tied in a muslin cloth to make small satchels. These powders, herbs, rice or sand sacks are then heated and lightly pounded over the body or specific parts of the body as needed.
Kizhi massage provides dry heat which treats aggravated Vata and Vatakapha conditions. It is an effective treatment for Depression, Anxiety, Muscular cramps, Swelling, Obesity, Lower back pain, Diabetes, Osteoarthritis, and Spondylosis.
6. Shirodhara: This healing massage involves the continuous pouring of medicated oil on the forehead with pendulum motion for a specific period of time. Shirodhara may also include the pouring of decoctions, buttermilk, or even water.
Continuous pouring of oil on the forehead stimulates and soothes the hypothalamus to induce sleep by reducing Stress. This therapy is performed for 30 to 60 minutes, depending on the condition of the person. The person is also given a gentle head massage before or during the procedure.
Shirodhara boosts the immune system and improves the blood circulation around the head and face to effectively treat Hypertension, Insomnia, Depression, and Jet lag.
How Does Body React When You Are Stressed?
When the body perceives a threat, the nervous system responds by releasing a flood of stress hormones, including adrenaline and cortisol. This actually prepares your body to be more alert. However, when stress becomes a regular phenomenon, high levels of cortisol can show several detrimental effects on the body. Increased cortisol level is associated with High blood pressure, Sugar imbalance, Muscle stiffness, and Increased heart rate. These physiological effects lead to health issues such as Pain, Fatigue, Low immunity, Sleep problems, Depression & Anxiety, etc.