A night out with its fair share of drinks is enjoyable, but it is the morning after which tends to have the after affects. Hangovers are a problem with anybody who has had a drink too much the night before and it might leave you in an incapacitated state due to nausea, headache (learn more about the facts of headache) and dehydration.
Here are some of the known homemade remedies which can cure hangovers:
1. Make sure you take a lot of water and fluids: After you have woken up after a night out where you had lots to drink, you are bound to have a hangover as alcohol is known to dehydrate the body. Thus it is advisable that you drink plenty of water and other fluids. Only water isn’t going to be enough as water can hydrate you but many of the other nutrients will only be supplied by juices, rehydrating drinks, sports drinks or other such. Thus it is important to consume a variety of these fluids.
2. Eat a hearty breakfast: The longer you are with an empty stomach, the longer it is going to take the hangover to go away. Eating a hearty and filling breakfast will relieve the hangover to a great extent. However, eat foods which are easy to digest, such as cereals and toast. Avoid greasy and oily foods in the morning as they may add to the nausea.
3. If you have nowhere important to be, go back to bed: If you have the time and nothing to do, then it is advisable to sleep (know more to improve the quality of your sleep) a little longer while you keep rehydrating yourself whenever you wake up. This is going to give your body the fluids it needs while resting is going to give it plenty of opportunity to heal itself.
4. Eat ginger, both before and after drinking: Ginger has been used as a home remedy across cultures for centuries to treat nausea. It is thus wise to eat crystallized or candied forms of ginger, both before and after consumption of alcohol as it will lessen its effects on the body. You can take ginger the night after as well to reduce the nausea that comes with hangover.
5. Stretch out and exercise a little: Between naps it may not be a bad idea to stretch out and exercise a little, which will help you release endorphins to make you feel better. However, ensure that it is light exercise so that the nausea and headaches are not exacerbated.
From munching on eggs and dunking down a herbal margarita to gulping down eggs and some bananas, we bring you some of the best tried and tested cures for a hangover. How can we be sure, you ask? Because we spoke to the inveterates who've been down with a headache hell too many times than they'd care to remember, and emerged shiny and new each time. Happy New Year, dear readers!
Can't read this without the words swimming up at you? Don't worry, help is at hand. And we'll keep it short. If all you want to do this Sunday is recover (help your liver process the toxins left over from alcohol metabolism) don't reach out for a glass of beer. Drinking more alcohol will only give your liver more toxins to deal with. Try out these tried and tested home remedies culled from the recipe books of the highly experienced, instead.
Eggs (lots of them): Bacon and eggs may be the classic combination, but greasy bacon is more a pre-hangover food than a post-hangover one.
Fatty foods line the stomach, and help absorb the alcohol, however, it's probably best to avoid them the day after a party. Eggs, however, have high amounts of cysteine, an amino acid that breaks down toxins left over after the alcohol's been broken down in the body.
Banana with milk: Yes we know, it sounds heavy. But you'll be surprised at how hungry you'll find yourself when you lay your hands on some wholesome fruit that's energy-giving, electrolyte-replacing and light on the tummy.
What's even better is a banana milkshake. Bananas are rich in potassium that alcohol's diuretic effect depletes your body of. Kiwi fruit would be a welcome addition. Tip: Add a dash of honey, instead of sugar to sweeten up the shake.
Herbal margarita: Herbal margarita: Six tulsi leaves, three cloves, a pinch of pepper powder, soda and sour mix (10 ml of sugar syrup, 10 ml of lime juice) Add all the ingredients and mix well in a shaker with ice.
Stern the mixture (without ice) into a Martini glass and garnish with a slice of lime. The martini glass can be rimmed with salt. It'll taste a bit sour, but after the night you've had, you may just find yourself in a bit of heaven. (Recipe courtesy Lakhan Jethani, owner, IBAR)
Carrot Juice (with some minor additions): Take a carrot, an apple, a slice of ginger and five ice cubes. Peel the carrot, cut it into pieces along with the apple.
Put all the ingredients in blender and mix. Pour into a tall glass and add a dash of lime. Guzzle it down. Studies have also shown that fructose increases the rate at which the body gets rid of toxins while providing vitamins that help to replenish the system which has been drained by alcohol.
Oranges (lots of them): We meant it when we said Vitamin C can help. The diuretic effects of alcohol deplete the body of nutrients and water, hence the parched feeling when you wake up. Consume vitamin-rich foods to replenish the body of these micro-nutrients, and, if you're up to it, follow cocktail company Tulleho's training manager Rohan Jelkie's advice.
(Meant for those who know, and possess, herbal additive, Angostura Bitters).
You'll need two teaspoons of Angostura bitters, a dash of lime juice, 60 ml of Orange juice, 10 mint leaves, crushed ice. Mix ingredients, top up with ice and add the bitters at the end.
HelloDox is one-stop solution for all your health care needs. In here, you can connect to your doctor, consult online audio/video/chat consultations, do near by clinic visit. You can get preventive health check-up from top NABL accredited labs pan India at lowest price. You can also upload prescriptions which is reviewed by our doctor panel and get it done in-time at minimum price. At HelloDox our mission is to provide best healthcare services at lowest price to all our citizens.
- Survey No. 152-4/1A, Behind Krishna Petrol Pump, Near
Hinjewadi Hospital, Hinjewadi Pune - 411057, India.
Your session timed out.
Please refresh to continue!