An itchy scalp can be incredibly irritating, especially if the itch is so bad that it’s difficult to go about your everyday life. There are dozens of reasons why you might experience an itchy scalp, from using certain haircare products to contracting a bacterial infection. In some cases, the itching is accompanied by more serious side-effects, like hair loss and a crusted, blistered scalp.
It can be tempting to try and self-diagnose an itchy scalp, but treating it incorrectly could make the problem worse. Speak with a Doctor today to pinpoint the cause of your itchy scalp and set yourself on the path to getting the right treatment.
Causes of an itchy scalp
The most common reasons for an itchy scalp are:
Dandruff - dandruff is the result of the skin cells on the scalp renewing too quickly, causing an excess of old, dead skin cells. Dandruff can be itchy, and can cause white flakes to fall from the scalp.
Psoriasis - this skin condition is often worse around the scalp area. Like dandruff, it’s caused by the rapid replacement of new skin cells, causing an excess of old skin. Psoriasis can cause the skin on the scalp to become dry and scaly, and in serious cases, you may notice temporary hair loss.
Eczema - eczema is another condition which causes itchy, red and dry skin on the scalp. Complications of eczema include infection of the skin, as bacteria can more easily breach broken skin. Eczema is common and may run in families; moreover there are a number of triggers that can cause an eczema outbreak, including sweat, stress, heat, allergies and dust.
Head lice - particularly common in children of school age, head lice, or ‘nits’, are tiny insects that live on the scalp and cause itching. They’re harmless, but the itching can be very unpleasant.
Of course, there are many other reasons why your scalp may feel itchy. A slight reaction to a hair product, a change in climate and a variety of autoimmune conditions can cause an itchy scalp. Self-diagnosing the cause of your itchy scalp can be challenging - speak to a doctor to find out the root cause and discuss the best treatments possible.
Treating an itchy scalp
Treatment for your itchy scalp will depend on the cause of the problem. In many cases, a medicated shampoo or cream for your scalp will help resolve the issue. If your itchy scalp was caused by eczema or psoriasis, your doctor might encourage you to pinpoint your triggers and make an effort to avoid them in the future.
Where head lice are concerned, medicated lotions and sprays are available to buy at local pharmacies and supermarkets. Everyone in the household should be treated at the earliest opportunity.
Don’t leave the diagnosis of your itchy scalp down to guesswork. Get in touch with a GP today to find out how you can treat the problem and find relief from itching.
Beetroot is known for its incredible vibrant colour and hence it is used in salads as well as many recipes. This awesome pinkish red colour comes from a pigment called betanin which is often extracted to create natural food colouring and dyes.
Here are some benefits of including beetroot in your diet:-
- It is rich in antioxidants: Antioxidants like betanin & polyphenols in beetroot reduce the oxidation of bad cholesterol, protect the artery walls and guard against #HeartDisease and #Stroke.
- It helps in detoxification: It detoxifies your body by pulling the toxins into the colon from where they can be evacuated. Beetroot juice might also stimulate red blood cell production and build #stamina.
- Folate, Fiber, Vitamin C and other minerals: Beetroot is a great source of fiber and minerals like iron, potassium and manganese which are essential for good health and in combination with other foods it can deliver a lot. #VitaminC boosts #immunity, #folate is essential for normal tissue growth and fiber helps in smooth #digestive functions. It is particularly high in #protein and #iron than most other roots & tubers.
- For Heart health: Studies have shown that the high content of nitrates in beetroot produces a gas called nitric oxide. This gas helps to relax and dilate your blood vessels which improves blood flow and lowers #BloodPressure.
- For Hair care: Beetroot is actually one of the best home remedies to fight the flakes and an itchy scalp. You can boil some beets in water and use the concentrated liquid to massage on the scalp. Alternatively, you can mix some beetroot juice, vinegar and ginger juice and apply to the scalp. Keep this for 20 mins and rinse.
- Low in fat & calories: Although it has a high sugar content, it is low in calories & almost fat free. Since it is loaded with fiber it makes you full on lower calories. This makes it a nutritious option for those looking to keep their weight down.
HelloDox is one-stop solution for all your health care needs. In here, you can connect to your doctor, consult online audio/video/chat consultations, do near by clinic visit. You can get preventive health check-up from top NABL accredited labs pan India at lowest price. You can also upload prescriptions which is reviewed by our doctor panel and get it done in-time at minimum price. At HelloDox our mission is to provide best healthcare services at lowest price to all our citizens.
- Survey No. 152-4/1A, Behind Krishna Petrol Pump, Near
Hinjewadi Hospital, Hinjewadi Pune - 411057, India.
Your session timed out.
Please refresh to continue!