Undergoing acupuncture treatment during in vitro fertilisation (IVF) might not increase a woman’s chances of conceiving, finds a study.
Acupuncture — a traditional Chinese medicine in which thin needles are inserted into the body — has become a widely used treatment prior to and during IVF.
The study, however, showed that acupuncture is no better than placebo for improving IVF success.
It showed no significant benefit from IVF when compared with a short course of acupuncture using dummy needles placed away from “true” acupuncture points.
“Our findings do not support acupuncture as an efficacious treatment compared to sham,” lead investigator Caroline Smith, Professor at the Western Sydney University in Australia.
For the study, published in the journal JAMA, the team included over 800 Australian and New Zealand women to examine the effects of acupuncture administered prior to and following an embryo transfer (ET).
The participants were given either acupuncture or a sham acupuncture control (a non-insertive needle placed away from the true acupuncture points).
The results showed the rate of live birth was 18.3 per cent among participants who received acupuncture versus 17.8 per cent who received the sham acupuncture control, a non-significant difference.
While a short course of acupuncture may statistically be no better than sham at improving live birth and pregnancy outcomes, a psycho-social benefit from acupuncture was reported by women undergoing IVF, the researchers said.
“Some studies suggest reproductive outcomes maybe improved when acupuncture is compared with no treatment,” Smith said.
“Feeling relaxed and reporting relief from stress and women feeling good about themselves is to be welcomed for women as they undergo an IVF cycle,” explained co-author Michael Chapman, Professor at the University of New South Wales, Sydney.
Here are 5 natural ways to ease arthritis pain, according to the Arthritis Foundation:
- Massage :- Massages have been shown to reduce joint pain and #JointStiffness as well as a range of motions. But the Arthritis Foundation warns to listen to your body and perhaps avoid getting a massage when joints are especially tender and sensitive.
- * Eat plenty of fish: Certain types of fish -- salmon, tuna, mackerel and herring, are full of inflammation-fighting #Omega-3 fatty acids, and for that reason, experts recommend you eat at least 3-4 ounces of fish twice a week.
- Weight loss: Losing 1 pound removes 4 pounds of pressure on swollen, painful joints. You can maintain a healthy weight by combining a #BalancedDiet with regular physical activity.
- Tai Chi : A Chinese practice of gentle flowing movements, deep breathing and #meditation, and has been shown to not only reduce joint pain, but also improve range of motion and function.
- Acupuncture: A form of Chinese medicine which involves inserting thin needles at specific points on the body is designed to stimulate nerves, muscles and connective tissue. Many experts recommend acupuncture to heal arthritis pain.
HelloDox is one-stop solution for all your health care needs. In here, you can connect to your doctor, consult online audio/video/chat consultations, do near by clinic visit. You can get preventive health check-up from top NABL accredited labs pan India at lowest price. You can also upload prescriptions which is reviewed by our doctor panel and get it done in-time at minimum price. At HelloDox our mission is to provide best healthcare services at lowest price to all our citizens.
- Survey No. 152-4/1A, Behind Krishna Petrol Pump, Near
Hinjewadi Hospital, Hinjewadi Pune - 411057, India.
Your session timed out.
Please refresh to continue!