Gestational diabetes is a kind of diabetes that happens during pregnancy. Diabetes is referred to a condition where your blood glucose or blood sugar is very high. Although, glucose is good as it used by your body for energy, but excessive glucose in your blood can be harmful for both you and your child. Gestational diabetes is mostly diagnosed in the later stages of pregnancy. If gestational diabetes is diagnosed in the early stages of pregnancy, then it is quite possible that you may have had diabetes before you became pregnant. Treating gestational diabetes can help both you and your baby stay fit and healthy. You can protect both, yourself and your baby by controlling your blood glucose levels.
Problems with gestational diabetes in first 3 months prem can lead to abortion or congenital authorities in baby. Mid trimester abortions, urinary and vagina infection can occur. Preeclampsia , chorioamnionitis also possible. In 3rd trimester preterm Labour, intrauterine death, large baby or small for dates can happen. Neonatal hypoxia, respiratory distress are common. So it has to be controlled strictly throughout pregnancy with diet, exercise and medicines.
Here are 7 things that you need to know about Gestational diabetes:
Every three to eight out of 100 ladies tend to develop diabetes during pregnancy, a condition known as gestational diabetes. Fortunately, it can be dealt with and even kept away by maintaining healthy lifestyle choices. Eating leafy foods and avoiding sugar-rich things, is a vital step for both control and counteractive action. Exercise, after consulting your doctor can guarantee that you have a healthy pregnancy.
In diabetes, when your body's glucose or sugar levels get so high that the carbohydrates and sugars cannot be converted into energy, the excess starts accumulating in your body. This additional glucose can harm the vessels in your kidneys and all through your body, particularly in organs like eyes.
Two or three factors might cause danger for creating gestational diabetes, both inside and outside of your control. If you are overweight before you get pregnant or while you are pregnant or your family history shows that you are hereditarily inclined to the sickness, you will probably build up the condition.
nsulin goes. Your specialist may prescribe that you require diabetic pills or insulin to help you control your glucose levels.
Your weight can bring about complexities during the delivery in case of gestational diabetes. So it is best to keep your weight in check in order to have a smooth sailing pregnancy and delivery.
Gestational diabetes can likewise put ladies at risk of contracting preeclampsia, which can bring about a number of side effects and complexities. Side effects brought on may start from swollen feet, legs, fingers, and hands to hypertension and even seizures or strokes.
Apart from the risks of having gestational diabetes during your pregnancy, it might affect the child later on. Your baby may have a higher danger of obesity as it develops, both in the teenage years and youth. Youngsters who are overweight may suffer from type 2 diabetes in the long run.
Diuretics are substances that allow the body to get rid of excess water and sodium. They help in draining out the water by stimulating the kidneys and eliminate sodium from the urine thus, facilitating drainage of excess water. Diuretics are prescribed by the doctor when the body starts to retain excessive fluids.
The conditions that lead to problems such as:
1. High blood pressure: This is a disorder wherein the blood exerts more than the normal force (pressure) against the arterial walls while flowing through them.
2. Diabetes: It is a metabolic disorder wherein the blood sugar level rises significantly.
3. Kidney stones: Kidney stones refer to the formation of stones in the kidneys that can hamper the normal functioning of the kidney, leading to fluid retention in the body.
4. Edema: A disorder wherein parts of the body tend to swell due to inflammation is called ‘edema’.
5. Impaired functioning of the kidney: Impaired functioning of the kidneys makes it very difficult to flush out the excess sodium from the body thus, leading to fluid retention.
There are certain natural diuretics, which can come to your aid in times such as these. Read on to know more:
1. Parsley: Parsley, a very effective diuretic, is an herb that is commonly used for garnishing. It can also help in relieving bladder problems.
2. Black and green tea: Both green and black variants of the humble tea are very effective diuretics; you can enjoy them after a heavy meal to get rid of the bloating.
3. Hawthorn: A type of natural diuretic that is effective in reducing fluid accumulation and increasing urinary excretion. It also helps in treating problems of the kidney.
4. Juniper: A diuretic that has been used since ancient times. Juniper is very effective in removing excess salt and fluids from the body. The advantage of this plant is that it does not lower downs the level of potassium in the body, a side effect of other diuretics.
Oranges are a winter favorite and one of the most loved fruits around the world. The fruit is low in calories, good for the skin, strengthens nervous system and digestive system, and helps in lowering the risk of many diseases. It can be also included in our diet in several ways from a morning snack to exotic desserts. Here are a few benefits of oranges:
1. They are a good source of vitamin C - Humans are unable to produce vitamin C endogenously, which is essential for our body and so it needs to be included in our diet. Vitamin C reduces inflammation related to arthritis, muscle injuries and also helps in reducing the risk of heart diseases by blocking the oxidation of cholesterol. Oranges are very rich in vitamin C along with other nutrients like vitamin B9, vitamin A, calcium, and potassium.
2. They are an excellent source of fiber - Fiber-rich fruits like oranges have been proven to moderate the levels of blood sugar after a meal because of their natural sugar-fructose content. For this reason, diabetic patients can also have oranges without worry. Moreover, the roughage present in the fruit reduces the chances of constipation and diarrhea.
3. Help prevent cancer - The fiber content in oranges can also play a significant role in keeping cancer-causing chemical components away from the colon. Moreover, vitamin C helps build the immune system so as to resist cancer cells. The antioxidants may also help in avoiding breast cancer, skin cancer, stomach cancer and lung cancer.
4. Improve the quality of sperm - A vitamin called folic acid, which is present abundantly in oranges, helps to improve the quality of human sperm and locomotive abilities. Folic acid also protects the sperm from most kinds of genetic damage.
5. Can prevent loss of hair - Production of collagen, which is one of the most important proteins in our body, is done with the help of vitamins, especially vitamin C. Collagen keeps the tissues in the hair together. So, oranges and other foods rich in vitamin C can help keep a healthy growth of hair even in your old age.
6. Check the formation of kidney stones - Juice of citrus fruits like orange can increase the pH value of urine and can lead to increased excretion of citric compounds from the body. This reduces the possibility of the formation of calcium oxalate stones in the kidney considerably.
7. Promote brain development - Vitamin B9 and folic acid keep the brain healthy. The polyphenols in orange help in accelerating the learning and memory functions of the brain and facilitate neurological development in the fetus.
Hence, the above mentioned benefits of oranges make them one of the most amazing foods which everyone must include in his/her daily diet.
The occurrence of diabetes is expanding step by step. Being a silent executioner, it is attacking the youthful generation subtly that builds the weight of exchequer on the general population. Individuals, who are taking cutting edge medicines for diabetes treatment, prompting to searching of option arrangement of medicine where Ayurveda has more prominent application and significance. Ayurveda treats diabetes through diet, drugs, exercise and panchakarma.
Reasons for diabetes
Deficiency of exercise
Diet expanding kapha dosha, for example, fats, sugar, rice, potatoes
Mental stress and strain
Over the top sleep
Straightforward Ayurvedic cure for diabetes
Bitter Gourd Juice: Juice of Karela (30 ml) might be gone up against discharge stomach day by day in the early morning. It is considered as one the best remedies for diabetes. Pulverize the bitter melon into a grinder in the wake of isolating its seeds. Tad bit of water may likewise be included. Strainer this to have juice.
Methi Seeds: Fenugreek seeds or its mix with ayurvedic herbs are helpful remedy to decrease the signs and symptoms of diabetes. Absorbed fenugreek seeds warm water overnight took after by biting it in the morning.
Triphala: Triphala alongside different fixings are helpful in bringing down the sugar levels in blood. The decoction of a balance of base of Triphala, barberry, moth (20ml) and colocynth might be brought with turmeric powder (4gm) twice per day.
Amla: The juice of Amla (Embelica officinalis) (20 ml) twice per day is useful for diabetic patient. The powder of Amla fruit may likewise be taken twice every day.
Aloe Vera and ground sound leaf: The blend of turmeric (1/2 tbsp), ground sound leaf (1/2 tbsp), and aloe vera gel (1 tbsp) if taken twice every prior day lunch and supper, is useful to control sugar in blood along these lines successful for the issue.
Cinnamon powder: This is one of the essential regular home remedies. Step by step instructions to plan: First take one liter of drinkable water. Include 3-4 tbsp of cinnamon powder and warmth it for 20 minutes. Strain the blend and made it cool. Drink it consistently.
Diet: Use Varee, barly, Kulittha, Mung, old rice, Chickpeas, bitter gourd, dudhee gourd, Dodaka, in diet. Incorporate 'Tikta ras' things in diet.
Indian gooseberry, or amla, is one of the most potent natural medicines used in Ayurveda since time immemorial; moreover, it is recommended by many health practitioners as a general tonic for various lifestyle ailments like as a topical treatment for skin and hair, amla powder for weight loss, et al. It is loaded with health-benefiting properties and can be savoured in various forms. The sour-tasting fruit is generally consumed fresh or as a sweetened and preserved product known as amle ka murabba. An excellent source of vitamin C and minerals like calcium, iron, phosphorus and chromium, Indian gooseberry is known to promote our overall health. But, did you know that amla can be great for managing diabetes too? Surprised? Don't be. Read on to know how Indian gooseberry, or amla, can help manage your sugar levels.
How does amla help manage diabetes naturally?
According to Macrobiotic Nutritionist and Health Coach, Shilpa Arora, "Amla is loaded with vitamin C and skin healing nutrients that build your immune system by strengthening gut microbiome. Amla helps insulin resistance and balances high blood sugar levels. It eliminates toxins from the body and heals cellular metabolism, which makes it great for diabetics. Stay clear of amla candies as the sugar will defeat the properties."
As per Ayurveda expert, Dr. Ashutosh Gautam, "Amla has many actions; it is useful in managing diabetes; all thanks to the antioxidants like ascorbic acid, tannins, and polyphenols present in it, which help to reduce lipids, triglycerides in liver and improve metabolism. The difference in blood sugar levels would be less initially, but the complication associated with diabetes gets managed."
As per a study published in the Journal of Medical Food, amla extract dropped sugar levels in diabetic rats. The findings showed that the strong free radical scavenging activity of amla and its ability to reduce oxidative stress helped improve glucose metabolism in diabetic rats.
Amla is said to have chromium that has positive effects on the pancreas, where insulin is produced, further helping regulate blood sugar levels. Chromium tends to regulate carbohydrate metabolism and may make the body more responsive to insulin, helping to keep the blood glucose levels in check. The benefits of amla are aplenty.
Amla is low in calories, which makes it great for managing your weight. Excessive calorie intake will cause weight gain, which could lead to insulin resistance, and eventually difficulty in controlling diabetes. An ideal body weight helps control blood sugar levels better.
Amla contains polyphenols that have properties, which are known to protect our body from oxidative stress caused by high blood sugar.
Amla is said to be effective in assisting proper absorption of insulin and further result in a drop in blood sugar levels.
How To Use Amla To Manage Diabetes Naturally?
Amla is easily available in fresh, dried and powdered form. One of the best ways to consume amla is to drink fresh amla juice every morning. You could sprinkle some amla powder on your food to enhance not just the flavour, but also the nutritious value. Make amle ka murabba and eat one daily to procure all the goodness from the fruit.
Consult your doctor before adding amla to your diet, as having both amla and medications simultaneously may cause the blood sugar levels to drop significantly.